Saturday, August 4, 2007

THE CRADLE OF COMFORT

My dear, perceptive reader; almost exactly a week ago today, I returned to the sprawling, scenic IIT-M campus to embark on the 3rd installment of my journey towards an engineering degree. Of course, before that, I spent 3 months at home, being pampered like the little prince I was 10 years ago(annoyed frown). Its not that I’m not grateful, because trust me, I am. It’s just that Mom has got to realize that I neither need nor want someone at my beck and call 24*7. Anyway, I digress. Point is, one would think that after home, I would find it hard to adjust to insti life, wouldn’t one? Surprisingly, reality had quite the contrary in store for me.

I found that I adjusted faster to insti life when I got back from home rather than vice-versa. This, my friends, is where I belong. Of course, life here is very humdrum, hectic and sorts. Quite the contrast to the laid-back I have no worries; I have no goals life I led for the three months I spent at home. But, you know what, I like it this way. I like having things to do. I like not wallowing in my boredom. I like getting up in the morning and knowing that I have goals to achieve before the day is done and gone. You know, the clichéd “Miles to go before I sleep” situation.

Again, you would think that the pace of life here, if maintained over long periods of time, would drive one crazy. And, you would be right!! Well then, what keeps me sane? (Of course, there will be some among you who might argue that sane isn’t exactly an appropriate word to describe me, but lets just say, for the sake of argument, that I am sane, shall we?) Anyway, coming back to the matter at hand, what keeps me sane is, in fact, my room!! Of course, most among you would consider the preceding statement to be incontrovertible proof that I am deranged, but I implore you, hear me out.

My room is a unit, which runs best in symbiosis with me. I do not know how to explain this to another, but I shall do my very best. You know how when you are concentrating, when you are doing something important, the muscles and tendons on your neck and shoulders somehow are perennially tense and taut. But when I get to my room, everything suddenly goes so slack and I actually let out a sigh!! It is like a cradle or a womb, a comforter, so to speak. It is where I feel immune to the world around me. It is my own space, my own Agam, so to speak, for those familiar with the concepts of Sangam literature. It is a base camp, a command center, from where I regulate my links to the outer world. I let in only those I choose, I go out only when I choose. I am the master, and yet I am at the mercy of my room! When I came back, I had to reorganise my room from scratch. I realised, of course, that there were a million better ways to do it, but I had to chose the exact same arrangement I had during the second semester. It was a compulsion, know what I mean?

Well, I guess I’ll bring an end to my awkward chain of thought here, and also to your misery, my dear reader. After all, I wouldn’t want to scare you away from this blog. But, I would appreciate your comments and thoughts, as always. Bye for now, see you in a bit!!

No comments: