Wednesday, September 5, 2007

A BREACH OF COURTESY? A PARADIGM SHIFT?

My dear, perceptive reader; I come back to you today with a short post about a little anecdote. Earlier today, as I was walking out of the classroom, I failed to notice a lady acquaintance of mine. Well, to cut a long story shot, she hailed me back and after a few polite exchanges, we said our goodbyes. No big deal, say you? Perhaps. But one point struck me. A few decades ago, in the Victorian Era, it would have been considered a heinous breach of courtesy to ignore a lady, no matter how concerned you may be with other, pressing matters. And yet, here, it was brushed aside as though it was nothing.

Perhaps my judgment is warped by the fact that I read too many novels by Victorian authors when I was younger, but those little niceties, quaint and outdated as they may be, have always appealed to me. As I cycled away from the aforesaid encounter, the delayed realization struck me!! Something had definitely changed. But what was it? Was it me? Or is it society has ‘evolved’ sufficiently to ignore such common courtesies? Is this the outcome of the ‘Neo-Hellenistic’ revolution?? Am I alone in having a problem with the turn of events?

With that thought, I leave you, my dear, perceptive reader. As always, I invite you to form your own opinions, and request you to share them with me.

3 comments:

Leela said...

You just committed a atrocious crime. However are you going to make it up to her??

PS:
"a lady acquaintance" makes me feel so much older! :)

Dham said...

well srivats get a move on in life.
and by the way i like her question how are you going to make it uptp her???

Rohit Kumar Chemudupati said...

I would blame the Women's Lib for this. Several of my "lady acquaintances" either feel uncomfortable with or absolutely detest chivalrous behaviour. That would leave people ,like the two of us, in this dilemma.