Saturday, December 8, 2007

THE COSMIC MIRROR

THE 'TRUE' STORY OF THE SPOON

My dear perceptive readers, (I presume, of course, that there are more than one of you) it is indeed a pleasure to see you again. Ere we commence our session for the day, I wish to tender a anticipatory apology for those among you acquainted with the Wachowski Brothers, for some of what I wish to say would perhaps seem to you to be repetitive and familiar, perhaps painfully so. I can only humbly implore you to bear with me, I’ve done my best so as to not sound like a defective parrot, and put my own twist on things. Also, if indeed the Wachowski Brothers are not unfamiliar to you, you perchance would be able to guess the identity of the ‘Spoon’ mentioned in the subtitle.

On more than one prior occasion, I have touched upon the blurred boundary between perception and reality. Today, I have attempted to clear all remaining doubt on my view of the matter, if indeed the preceding statement makes any sense at all. (All in due time, my dear (reader), all in due time.) This goes beyond merely the subtle yet profound difference between a half-full and half-empty glass. That a mans life is by and large shaped by his perception of it, I doubt any amongst you would disagree. After all, millions of Reader’s Digest articles on the benefits of a positive, optimistic approach have got to, by sheer power of overwhelming statistics, make some sense.

But what if I go a step further? What if I say all life is perception? What if I go as far as to claim that your life is what you perceive? I can already dimly hear the outraged shrieks of the humanists and the sanctimonious chants of the cyberpunks. At the risk of sounding repetitive, I ask once again of you a question I have asked you numerous times… What indeed is reality? It is but your perception of it. What influences your perception, I shall not get into here and now, for that would, in my current mood, possess numerous Jungian elements. Do you, my dear reader, perceptive as you are, see what this implies? Six billion people, six billion realities, six billion worlds. Which among these is the world? Why, all and none, of course. (Disclaimer: I’m only fond of paradoxes as long as I am the one to perpetrate them) And each of these worlds is flexible, supple, yielding to the will of its creator.

Where then, is the absolute? Do I mean to imply that like the One, we can possess the ability to fly, if only we believe? Of course not!! Then, are the laws of physics absolute? Yes, indeed they are. I can no more fly by merely wishing it than survive in a supernova. Then, are people absolute? Or, in accordance with a disturbingly convincing argument presented by Douglas Adams, are living beings merely a figment of the collective deranged imagination? (Don’t even get me started on where ‘imagination’ came into being, let alone ‘collective’) Again, it is a ludicrous proposition. Of course people exist. If you aren’t convinced, punch the next ‘figment of a deranged imagination’ you run across, his/her/its reaction should convince you that he/she/it very much exists.

Well, now that we’ve established, on an empirical basis at least, my existence and yours, and the fact that you are reading this tripe courtesy a very strange alignment of electric and magnetic fields (which, incidentally, I haven’t completely grasped. Help, anybody?), where does the perception part of it enter what we shall for sake of argument, albeit a very flimsy one, I grant you, call the picture? Everything hereon with is merely a construct, and ‘tis within this construct that perception enters what we have (hopefully) agreed to call the picture. It is here that the definite article (note that I use it to define itself, a paradox of another sort, one for linguists to sort out, no doubt) loses much of its meaning (though not all). It is here that objectivity takes a hike and gets lost in the woods (it may also have gotten sucked into a quicksand bog, its fate is yet to be reliably ascertained. In any case, we can be sure it isn’t going to be returning anytime soon.).

Within this construct we all seem to be inordinately proud of, society, everything is perception. Again, I must iterate, this is not merely a half-empty, half-full debate. This is so much more than that. This is the uncomfortable and very, almost frighteningly so, poorly fitting overlay of six billion worlds, of six billion truths. Nothing just is, everything exists in a massive relational field, at places thin, at places thicker than the tension filled air at a eighth grade make-out party.. (Hmm… interesting simile, courtesy Kevin Arnold, The Wonder Years, I guess.) The ramifications, if one chooses to consider them, are truly frightening. I so choose, but find that one cannot, and here I’m guilty of a horrible generalization, move for too long a period of time outside ones construct, ones ‘reality’, and escape sinking into an intellectual mire of nihilistic pessimism. (More on this later).

Do you realize, my dear reader, by virtue of the perception which I take the liberty of assuming you posses, that this removes the concept of an absolute right and wrong? What may be right in one of the six billion constructs may be abhorrent in another. You see the havoc this principle would wreck upon what semblance remains of a judicial system? A construct perhaps, but a useful one nonetheless, is society, and it must be protected. Of this there can be no debate. What then, was the point of this inordinately long piece of text, with its many tangents? Perhaps Isaac Asimov sums up the problem best in his discussions of the Zeroth Law of Robotics, “It is easy to point to, to define a human, to see what will or will not harm him. But what is humanity? It is an abstract concept, at best? How can we know what will harm or benefit humanity?” On a different note, is it sufficient, if indeed possible, to merely define a blanket right and a wrong? I think it’s absurd. You, of course, may differ.

Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
What truth?
There is no spoon... Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.


The purpose is not to exhort you to bend the spoon, only to recognize that the spoon has no existence independent of you. (And by this, I don’t mean the metal spoon, just to clear up any possible misunderstanding) It is but a reflection of your self in the cosmic mirror, and thus it can change, as you change. You can, if you so wish bend the spoon. Do not do so recklessly, but also do not insist on its maintaining a rigid shape. With that, my dear, perceptive reader, I shall descend down into my reality, my world, and leave you with your thoughts, and of course, the spoon.

8 comments:

Srivats said...

Just struck me..... I seem to have a penchant for nihilistic leanings..
Question to you, my dear reader: Am I a Nihilist?

Kaushik said...

The MA junta motto: "It's all perspectival." - there are no absolutes, simply because you are aware of the world only through your own senses. What I know to be blue might actually appear as red to the rest of the world.
Can you trust your senses? You can't, but there's no point living your life in disbelief because you'll never know anything except what your senses tell you - that is, of course, until Morpheus shows up and asks you to choose a pill :).

Kaushik

Anonymous said...

On the other hand maybe what we perceive through our senses IS, after all, absolute... there's just no way one could ever know is there?

Srivats said...

@anonymous;
Therein lies the problem. in the absence of a definitive 'reality', why should we prefer one so called 'absolute' over another?

PS: Perhaps it would be your pleasure to divulge your identity?

JoshuaSoans said...

Well, why shouldn't we. Besides nearly every single social construction rests on accepting a common reality doesn't it?

Srivats said...

What we today seem to agree to call 'society' is in itself a construct. 'Society" is itself not absolute, how can there be multiple common absolutes within it?

And yet, there seems to be. (note that i said; 'seems') after all, the world is moving along just fine. Uneasy truce seems to be the answer for me.

Anonymous said...

No what I meant was -

1. There's no way of ever knowing whether what we perceive is 'absolute' reality or not.

2. It could be either, so why not former.

3. Of course even if the latter were true society would still exist based on a common acceptance of what reality is.

4. Either ways i suppose the 'absolute' doesn't really matter since the only way to 'know' it is through our senses.

Anonymous said...

It seems to me that the spoon is driving humans crazy( take the instance of your suggestion to hit a person to find out about his reality). It is trying to possess you. This is sort of similar to a text written by J.R.R. Wachowski and his description of a deranged creature's longing for "Neo's Precious". The following excerpt taken from the story highlights my point.


Three Spoons for the Agent Smiths under the sky,
Seven for the Sentinels in their halls of tech-jargon,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Architect on his Lazy-boy
In the Land of the Matrix where everything is a lie.
One Spoon to rule them all, One Spoon to find them,
One Spoon to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of the Matrix where everyrhing is a lie.